|Chainette Fringe||Beaded Fringe||Beaded Garland||Feather Fringe||$ale|
Home Decor, Wedding & Event Decorating Ideas & Resources
Shop all our Fabulous Finds
Artwork & Accessories
Cabinets & Countertops
Careers In Interior Design
Color Trends & Color Schemes
Decorating & Home Decor Trends
Education In Interior Design
Fabrics & Upholstery
Floors & Flooring
Home Health & Safety
Interior Designers, Working With
Painting & Home Decor
Walls & Doors
Shipping & Return Info
Our beaded fringe trims are 1st quality and exceptional in craftsmanship and detail.
Handmade Holiday Ideas For Gifts and Décor
(ARA) - As the calendar moves closer to the end of the year, gift lists are being made and checked twice. No matter who's on your gift list this season, the holidays are a time to show the special people in our lives that we appreciate them. Handmade gifts are a great way to add personality and charm that will be treasured long after the wrapping paper is thrown away.
"This holiday season's hottest trend is handmade gifts," says Susan Atchison, trend expert for Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. " We anticipate people unwrapping handmade gifts such as quilted iPod carriers with personalized word charms, warm winter fleece throws with one-of-a-kind appliqués and jeweled wine glasses with special toasts attached."
While it may seem time-consuming to create unique gifts, the reality is there are simple ways to creatively spread holiday cheer in less than an afternoon. Here are some fun ideas for crafters at any skill-level:
* Dress up one of the season's hottest gifts, the iPod, with a festive iPod holder decorated with brightly colored beads and ribbon.
* Craft a gift box candle holder by turning a small decoupage box into a gift package using festive scrapbook paper and colorful ribbon tied on top in a large, multi-layered bow. Safely secure a modestly-sized candle in the center of the bow and wrap the base of the candle with ribbon.
* Help kids craft presents for their teachers by cutting holly- and berry-shaped felt pieces and adhering them to a circular felt piece to create a wreath. Then attach the wreath to a long, narrow strip of felt that hangs below the wreath and use ribbon to create a display for holiday cards.
* Handmade stockings add a touch of whimsy and make gift-giving especially memorable. Ice skates, translucent or elf-themed stockings are a unique departure from the conventional.
* Use holiday sheet music as the background for handmade greeting cards. Apply miniature bells and music-themed embellishments for distinctive finishing touches.
iPod/Cell Phone Holder
1. For body of cover: Cut one each batting, lining (red), and outer fabric (green) using the above height and width measurements.
2. Place outer layer fabric on top of batting. Using silver as the top thread, sew straight stitches in wavy rows close to side edge of layered fabric.
3. Fold fabric in half, side to side and finger press.
4. For trim: Cut rat tail in half and place cord through holes on word plate. Place ribbon where desired on front of cover, ending at fold mark. Place word plate on top with cords to the side. Baste edge of ribbon and cord on fold mark and at edge.
5. Sew 2" Velcro strip on the fold (over ribbon and cord), starting one inch from top edge for the Ear Bud Holder.
6. For flap: Cut red and contrasting green fabrics into 3" square. Cut in half diagonally, discarding one half. With right sides of red and green triangles together, sew a narrow seam along one side and the diagonal cut. Turn inside out and press.
7. Constructing: Place flap right sides together on what will be the top back of the cover. Place the lining on top, right sides together and sew along the top side. Open and press.
8. Fold in half lengthwise right sides together and sew along bottom and the long side leaving the lining end open.
9. Turn inside out, tuck the raw edges in 1/4" sew and tuck the lining into the cover.
10. Add beads to the buttons when sewing on end of flap. Sew or glue Velcro under button and on cover to match for closure.
11. For Ear Bud Holder: Cut fabric 3"x 4". Sew other half of 2" Velcro strip near 3" edge of fabric. Turn under top 1/4" twice, slip elastic in fold and sew edge of fold down making a casing. Sew sides and bottom of fabric pulling elastic lightly to gather for closure. Turn and adhere to side of cover.
12. String beads on head pins and attach to hole in word plate.
Skill Level: Some sewing experience helpful
Courtesy of ARA Content
EDITOR'S NOTE: Due to seasonal nature of project, supplies are available for a limited time only. Please read all instructions prior to beginning; read and follow all manufacturers' instructions for all tools and materials used. Provide adult supervision if children participate in this and all craft projects. Because Jo-Ann Stores, Inc. has no control over the use of materials and tools, nor surroundings, during construction of projects, Jo-Ann Stores, Inc. disclaims any liability for injury, damage or other untoward results. Content of this project sheet is presented in good faith, but no warranty is given, nor results guaranteed.
www.DecoratingStudio.com Home Page
"Decorating Studio tops the list of popular home decorating, interior design, chainette fringe, event and wedding decorations & home improvement sites because you always come first! We have Home decor, rhinestone trim, home decorating tips for events, receptions and weddings, home decorating guides, home decorating ideas and home furniture and decor. Do you want to be a decorator or interior designer? We have a complete list of Interior design and decorating schools, colleges and universities by state."